Why China? Why Shanghai? These are the questions I’ve been asking myself, not to mention the questions I have received from friends, family, and neighbors. To fully answer the questions, I have to start at the beginning.
Growing up in Iowa – smack in the middle of the Mid-West, I enjoyed my childhood and was thankful that my parents exposed me to various cultures through museums, books, movies, and trips to D.C., NYC, and Chicago. From early on I wanted to explore the world around me.
In college, I took an intro to Asian History class and was hooked. I was fascinated with Chinese history, culture, language, religion, and art. After graduating in 1996, my DH (Darling Husband) and I moved to Kunming, a city in Yunnan province, to teach English at a teachers college. At that time the only other countries I had visited had been Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas. To say I experienced culture shock within the first 24 hours of landing in Kunming was an understatement. China at that time was different than it is today, and Kunming very different than the cosmopolitan Shanghai. After a few weeks we settled into a routine. My favorite memories of that time are spending time with our students, playing mahjong with locals – trying to hold a conversation in our pigeon Chinese, traveling to a resort town in the Himalayan mountains, visiting Beijing in January, and navigating our way through daily life. It wasn’t always easy – like taking a shower and planning meals were a bit of a challenge, but we adjusted and the things we experienced changed us, changed me.
When we returned to the states, my DH and I agreed that we wanted to live and work overseas again, but first we had to make some money (the foreign teacher gig was more for the experience vs. the money ) and work on a few of our other life goals (like starting a family).
In 2004 we made the decision to expand our family through adoption and when exploring all the options, we both agreed that an international adoption in China was the right choice for us. In 2006 we returned to China to adopt our DD (Darling Daughter). After adopting our daughter we resolved to return and once again live in China.
After an extended maternity leave, I returned to work. While both my DH and I worked, his career had taken off and had lead to an incredible opportunity that would require relocation to Shanghai, China. Neither one of us hesitated and was excited about returning to a country we had come to love.
So here I am, a girl from Iowa, wife to the love of my life, mom to an incredible, funny, silly, beautiful, toddler, living in Shanghai getting out and exploring the world around me, after all, “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste it, to experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”
Five Questions about the Duan Family Trafficking
6 years ago

8 comments:
Wow Jenny! It's amazing to hear about your life experiences and zest for new adventure. I can definitely relate and hope that Lex has learned from the different places we've lived. It is really great to hear from you as always. We love you and miss you guys!
Amber & Lex
Oh I'm so happy that you are going to be blogging from Shanghai! I want to hear EVERTHING and need photos of EVEYTHING!
Its going to be an amazing experience and I know you will appreciate every moment of it, both the good and the sometimes "trying".
Now we need another post!
Good luck Jenny! After meeting you here on the east coast, it was clear that you loved China. I hope the lovefest continues. But I also hope you come home to us someday, too.
China is lucky to have you guys. I've never met two more welcoming people, who are willing to try anything. This is sure to be a fantastic adventure.
I'll love reading all about it.
-Shari
too funny I got my "everything" wrong both times! Oh well you know what I mean! I need to hear and see EVERYTHING! :)
Hi Jenny,
Great to hear that you arrived safely and are settling in. Can't wait to hear about life in Shanghai. Thanks for including us in your blog. Give Remley a big kiss from her cribmate Sophia!
Lisa
Hey Jenny-
So glad that you made it safely and cant wait to hear about life in Shanghai! Miss you already! :)
Sending hugs from CT USA!!!
Kristen, Frank, Nick & Kaylie
XXXOOO
What a great opportunity... get ready for all those experiences and adventures... take care
Hi Jenny,
So glad that you made this blog so I can follow your time in China. Gosh I sure wish it were me moving there. I need a change and I can't think of any other place to be either. Keep in touch and drop me a line if you need anything.
Monique
Post a Comment