Never before had I heard of, let alone seen kite surfing until now. Our resort is flanked by two kite surfing schools and apparently Mui Ne Beach is the perfect location for this crazy, colorful and fun to watch sport. As the bay here is pretty windy, it is the perfect weather conditions for kite surfing.
DD and I had gone back to the bungalow for a quick shower before lunch, when DH popped his head in and said to bring the camera and video cam down when we returned to the beach. That was a teaser, as when we arrived at our daily lunch spot - we saw at least 100 kites in the sky and the riders or "surfers" riding and sometimes crashing the waves. It was breath taking and mesmerizing.
It's hard to describe just what kite surfing is, but from my lounge chair on the beach it appears to be a cross between surfing, snowboarding, and sailing. The kites are more like sails as they are rather large, and when a surfer catches some air it is fantastic! You can check out a video from one of the schools on YouTube - not sure this video makes me want to do it, but it sure is fun to watch from the safety of my beach blanket!



3 comments:
This looks like it would be a blast! Where do I sign up?
It's probably good I don't live in a place like that...I wouldn't want to work!
They do this all the time off of Long Beach - we can see them out there all the time when the wind is right - even in winer sometimes! (with wetsuits). Hey we'll have to try it wen you get back here, lol!
Oops that was supposed to be winTer, not winer! lol! And I can see them from my house out there in the marsh, kitesurfing..Kaylie says she wants to try it!
Post a Comment